Public Safety Investigator
XO4 Administrative Officer 4
Policing Services and Public Safety Branch, Community Safety Division
Advertisement Number: 36528
Salary(s): XO4 $65,288.00 – $82,064.00 per year
Closing Date: August 24, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves,
where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and
innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated
groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible
minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
To be considered for this competition candidates are required to submit the Application Form for screening, along with their resume, to the
Civil Service Commission by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), quoting 36528 and position title in the subject line.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Enhanced Security Screening
- Must successfully complete basic firearms training in addition to re-qualification on an annual basis
- A valid Class 5F Manitoba Driver’s License and ability to travel within Winnipeg and surrounding areas as required
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Extensive law enforcement experience including intelligence gathering, covert surveillance and investigative experience related to drug enforcement, vice investigations, organized and major crimes
- Experience in the Use of Force theories and applications or practices as they pertain to law enforcement, including the ability to use sound judgment as it relates to use of deadly force
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Ability to present to a variety of audiences
- Investigative training or equivalent to the successful completion of training in a police academy / college
- Experience establishing and maintaining confidential sources of information
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to determine if complaints fall within legislation and if sufficient evidence has been gathered
to support further action
- Ability to build relationships and work effectively with community groups
- Experience preparing for and testifying as a subject matter expert at Court in one or more of the following areas: drugs, organized
crime, surveillance, weapons or prostitution
- Knowledge of the Safer Communities and Neighborhoods Act, The Fortified Buildings Act, and The Body Armor and Fortified
Vehicle Control Act
- Knowledge of the organizational structure of police department (s) and police work
- Knowledge of the philosophy behind community-based policing programs and crime prevention
Investigators are Peace Officers who are required to conduct investigations, including: covert surveillance; investigation follow-up, including
testifying in court; liaising with appropriate law enforcement, criminal justice and social service agencies; and monitoring compliance with
court and other orders by those engaged in illegal activities. Investigators also respond to requests for, and undertake, outreach and
education presentations across the Province.
Advertisement # 36528
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of
your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from
the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information
irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.