LE2 Senior Legal Officer
Criminal Property Forfeiture, Community Safety Division
Advertisement Number: 36495
Salary(s): LE2 $141,016.00 – $154,879.00 per year
Closing Date: August 12, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
The Criminal Property Forfeiture Unit, under the authority of The Criminal Property Forfeiture Act, has access to a unique civil cause of action to seek forfeiture of proceeds and instruments of unlawful activity. Proceeds of confiscated property are managed or distributed as provided according to legislation for matters including victim compensation and programs promoting safer communities.
The Manitoba Government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity / paternity and parental leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan . Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
To be considered for this competition candidates are required to submit the Application Form for screening, along with their resume and covering letter to the Civil Service Commission by email (email@example.com), quoting # 36495 and position title in the subject line.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Must be a member in good standing with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Internal Security Check
- Experience in both criminal and civil law
- Experience implementing and integrating legislative and regulatory frameworks
- Experience developing, implementing and leading the delivery of a specialized program
- Knowledge in the areas of organized crime environment and money laundering
- The ability to liaise, engage and negotiate with agencies and public bodies at all levels
- Excellent managerial and supervisory skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong political acumen skills
The Executive Director is accountable for planning, developing, implementing and leading the Civil Forfeiture program. The position has statutory authority to begin forfeiture and direct proceedings. The Executive Director manages a special civil forfeiture account by evaluating and adjudicating the claims of eligible victims and distributing the proceeds resulting from disposal of assets forfeited to the Crown. The Executive Director is also responsible for planning, developing, initiating and leading all civil actions under The Profits of Criminal Notoriety Act / Regulation and The Civil Remedies against Organized Crime Act.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.