Investigator – Law Enforcement Review Agency
XO3 Administrative Officer 3
Law Enforcement Review Agency, Community Safety
Advertisement Number: 36432
Salary(s): XO3 $57,344.00 – $71,586.00 per year
Closing Date: June 8, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.
This competition may be used to appoint successful candidate (s) to future full-time, term, acting or regular appointments, subject to staffing approval.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- A satisfactory Security Check
- A satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- A satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Extensive experience conducting investigations in a law enforcement environment or related field
- Experience with interpreting Federal and Provincial legislation
- Experience in mediation, with the ability to resolve disputes
- Experience conducting presentations
- Knowledge of The Law Enforcement Review Act
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to make sound decisions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while meeting strict deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills, with the ability to interact with internal and external agencies, and the general public
- Excellent written communication skills, including report writing
- Knowledge of the organizational structure of a police department or knowledge of general policing duties
The Investigator is delegated the investigative powers of the Commissioner of The Law Enforcement Review Act (LERA) with the protection and power of a Commissioner appointed under Part V of The Manitoba Evidence Act. The incumbent will be responsible to investigate all public complaints of alleged police misconduct to ascertain whether a criminal offence or disciplinary default has been committed by an on-duty officer. The Investigator also chairs alternate dispute resolution meetings when the matter is amenable to information resolution and participates in public speaking engagements and training seminars to enhance the public profile of LERA.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.